If you frequent your local movie rental kiosk as often as I do, you may have noticed that the prices have increased over the past few months. The last Redbox I visited charged me $1.20 for my rental, when it used to cost $1. Blockbuster Express now charges $3 for new releases, $2 for not-as-new releases, and $1 for movies even older than those.
Needless to say, movie kiosks, while still less expensive than the alternative ($20 a pop at some theaters), aren’t quite as great a deal as they used to be. Unless, of course, you have a promo code.
Each of these companies periodically releases a promotional code that you enter during checkout that will discount your rental. All the Redbox codes I’ve seen have been for free movies. The Blockbuster codes I’ve seen have been for either a free rental or $1 off one rental.
Here’s how to get them:
- Text “DEALS” to 727272. You will receive one promo code via text message per month for a free rental. May not be shared. May only be used once.
- Create an online account on their Web site. You will receive a code for a free movie just for doing so.
- Reserve a movie via your new online account. The first time you do, they will give you a code for a free rental.
- Follow on Facebook and Twitter, where they occasionally release promo codes.
- Create an online account on their Web site. you will receive a code for a free movie just for doing so.
- Be sure to enter your phone number when creating your new online account. They will periodically text you promo codes for free or $1 off rentals.
- Follow on Facebook or Twitter, where they occasionally release promo codes.
- In fact, tonight I realized that I hadn’t “liked” them on FB yet. When I did, they gave me a free promo code! So definitely be sure to do that.
If you’re already familiar with these freebies, feel free to discuss them in the comments. If you aren’t, and you have any questions, let me know that too!